Spongebob is allowed in our house, but sometimes when I hear other people say "Oh, I don't let my son/daughter watch that show" I just don't get it. How did Spongebob get such a bad rap?
I've heard people say "oh, it's sexual - Bikini Bottom? Sandy Cheeks?"
Seriously? I never even went there in my head. I just thought they were cute little names someone made up and I don't generally consider myself to be naive.
Then I heard someone say "well, they use the word stupid on there". Agreed, I don't like that word, but most of the time it's used in a mean way, so I use it as an example of how not to act towards your friends. See how I turned that around like that???
My little guy watches two episodes of Spongebob at night (each episode is 15 minutes) and I often find myself drawn into them as well. Here's what I've observed:
- Spongebob gets up every morning and goes to work. This show responsibility. He also loves going to work every day and loves what he does and is proud of it - even though he's just a fry cook.
- Spongebob wears a tie and a collared shirt every day. Seriously? How many cartoon characters do that?
- He has a good relationships with his parents and absolutely adores his grandmother.
- Spongebob is loyal to his friend Patrick (who I'll admit is a bit slow at times, but come on - he's a Sea Star) and he is always nice to Squidward, his neighbor.
- The bad guy never wins. Poor Plankton just cannot get the crabby patty recipe.
- All finally, just look at the little guy. Doesn't he make you smile? He is always positive, kind to everyone he sees and has a great laugh.
So, let me have it. What do you think about Spongebob? What am I missing?